I regret to say, I took no "before" pictures. So sad. I'll do better next time. Here's the after:
I started with a trip to Home Depot. I bought two pine boards, one 1x6, and one 1x12 (about $12 total). I bought them both the same standard 6' length, so no carpentry skills (aka, skill saw) were required. I then stained with some leftover stain, and then screwed them into studs. I hung pics that will work as "labels" for each person's hook, made via this mod-podge project.
just in case there was some confusion about what this room is, I hung up this sign.
These amazing labels help kids and dad sort the laundry as the week goes, thus making my work on laundry day much much less.
This is what it looks like on laundry day. My bigs are now in charge of putting the laundry away (my least favorite chore ever)
Although I love my new laundry room, I gotta admit that having to look at that middle hook empty every week does make me kinda sad.